A veterinary hospital was built on this site in 1958 by Dr. J.R. Brooks. At that time, it functioned as an equine hospital for Jefferson Downs, located at the present site of Lafreniere Park. David Drive was a dirt road which served as the “backside” of the racetrack. In 1990, it was purchased by Dr. Steve Slaton and has changed and grown over the years to the small animal veterinary hospital known as Pet Care Center. After many years of planning, in 2006, Pet Care Center purchased Veterans Veterinary Hospital and the decision to build a new facility was set in place. The next two years brought much planning, construction, and two new partners; Dr. Erica Brooks and Dr. Michelle Arrillaga.